Thrower's Program: Advanced Care for Arms and Shoulders
The thrower's injury program aims to return injured athletes to their sport at or above their previous level of performance. With an understanding of the unique mechanical requirements of throwing, physical therapists develop an individualized return-to-throwing program to improve strength, mobility and throwing mechanics to prevent further injury. The return to peak performance requires involvement of coaches, athletic trainers and parents.
Sophisticated evaluation pinpoints problems
A comprehensive musculoskeletal evaluation of the athlete helps physical therapists pinpoint causes of injury. Evaluation focuses on physical exam of the trunk and upper body, including shoulder, elbow and wrist. A screening of the entire body looks for other factors contributing to injury. Comprehensive video analysis evaluates the athlete's throwing or pitching motion.
Individualized treatment programs include:
- A controlled rehabilitation plan to promote soft tissue recovery and healing.
- Specialized stretching and flexibility exercises for muscle, tendons, and connective tissue to improve mobility and prevent re-injury.
- Strengthening exercises to correct muscle imbalance and weakness contributing to injury.
- Shoulder blade stability exercises to improve throwing performance and reduce shoulder strain.
- Plyometric drills to build throwing motion speed and power.
- Specialized throwing exercises that include deceleration drills, throwing motion mechanics training and long-toss exercises.
- Proprioception training, or body self-awareness, to teach athletes to know their bodies and recognize the warning signs of abnormal body positions or movements leading to injury.
- An education program teaching self-care techniques to prevent further injury and maintain throwing performance.
To make an appointment with a throwing specialist, please call 952-920-8850.
Questions for a throwing specialist? Please call 612-672-7929.
- Fairview Sports and Orthopedic Care - Blaine
- 10961 Club W Pkwy NE, Suite 200
- Blaine, MN 55449
- Clinic Phone: 763-528-2992
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Eden Prairie
- 775 Prairie Center Drive Suite 250
- Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Edina
- 6545 France Ave S.
- Edina, MN 55435
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Elk River
- North Memorial Health Plaza 800 Freeport Ave N #200
- Elk River, MN 55330
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Golden Valley
- 8301 Golden Valley Road, Suite 202
- Golden Valley, MN 55427
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Lakeville
- 18592 Joplin Ave
- Lakeville, MN 55044
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Maple Grove / Arbor Lakes
- 12000 Elm Creek Blvd N #120, Arbor Lakes Medical Office Building
- Maple Grove, MN 55369-7074
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Minneapolis Uptown
- Lake Calhoun Center, 3033 Excelsior Blvd., #225
- Minneapolis, MN 55416
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Minneapolis / University Village
- 2525 University Ave. SE
- Minneapolis, MN 55414
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Fulton
- 909 Fulton St. SE, Fifth Floor
- Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Plymouth / City Center
- Plymouth City Center Medical Bldg. 15655 37th Ave. N, #250
- Plymouth, MN 55446
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Rosemount
- 15075 Cimarron Ave., #20
- Rosemount, MN 55068-2771
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Roseville
- 1955 W. County Rd. B2
- Roseville, MN 55113
- 651- 697-1313
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Highland Park
- 2155 Ford Parkway, Suite #107
- Saint Paul, MN 55116
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Savage
- 5725 Loftus Drive
- Savage, MN 55378