Most runners have a few simple goals: Run farther. Run faster. Run without pain. At the Institute for Athletic Medicine, our running program experts understand these goals. Whether you’re recovering from an injury or training to prevent one, our running specialists help you stay in top form.
We understand the unique biomechanics of running. Physical therapists and athletic trainers who are also runners work with you to design a rehabilitation program to improve your running mechanics and reduce your risk of running-related injuries.
The Road to Recovery
If a running injury is holding you back, our running specialists can put you on the road to recovery. A comprehensive musculoskeletal evaluation helps physical therapists assess the cause(s) of your injury. Other injury assessment and consultation options include:
- Complete examination and treatment of acute and chronic injuries including low-back pain, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, strains and sprains, and stress fractures.
- Running-specific muscle imbalance assessment including flexibility and strength testing of low-back, hamstrings, gastroc/soleus, quadriceps, abdominals, and tibialis anterior.
- A biomechanical assessment including malalignment or imbalance, and other compensatory mechanisms.
- Video analysis of running gait; frame-by-frame analysis of arm carriage, trunk rotation, hip drop, leg alignment, foot placement, and rearfoot motion to detect problems in running form.
- Foot wear analysis and recommendations.
- Analysis of foot structure and mechanics and current shoe selection.
- Running-specific exercise prescription to enhance strength and flexibility to minimize re-injury.
To schedule an appointment call 612-672-7100. For questions regarding a running injury, call the running injury hotline at 612-672-2722.
Free Running Shoe Screening
Physical therapists from the Institute for Athletic Medicine's running program evaluate your foot structure and current running shoe, making shoe recommendations that work to reduce your injury risk and improve foot comfort. Monthly footwear screenings are available on the second Saturday of February, April, May, June, September, and November at:
12979 Ridgedale Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55345
For more information about the running program, footwear screenings or presentations call 612-672-2722.
Physical therapists and athletic trainers who understand running are available for educational presentations that include:
- care and prevention of running injuries
- shoe recommendations
- treatment of acute and chronic injuries
- AlterG anti-gravity treadmill - Are you trying to reach a new level in your running performance? Take advantage the AlterG's ability to reduce your weight bearing so you can workout harder for longer, with less stress on your joints.
- Fairview Sports and Orthopedic Care - Blaine
- 10961 Club W Pkwy NE, Suite 200
- Blaine, MN 55449
- Clinic Phone: 763-528-2992
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Blaine / National Sports Center
- 1750 105th Avenue NE
- Blaine, MN 55449
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Burnsville
- 14101 Fairview Dr., Suite 300, Fairview Ridges Specialty Care Center
- Burnsville, MN 55337-2537
- 952-892-2650, Appointments: 612-672-7100
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Eagan
- 3305 Central Park Village Dr.
- Eagan, MN 55121
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Eden Prairie
- 775 Prairie Center Drive Suite 250
- Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Edina
- 6545 France Ave S., Suite 450, Southdale Medical Building
- Edina, MN 55435
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Fridley
- 6341 University Ave. NE #104
- Fridley, MN 55432
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Maple Grove / Arbor Lakes
- 12000 Elm Creek Blvd N #120, Arbor Lakes Medical Office Building
- Maple Grove, MN 55369-7074
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Maple Grove
- 14500 99th Ave. N., Desk #2, University of Minnesota Health Maple Grove Clinics
- Maple Grove, MN 55369
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Minneapolis Uptown
- Lake Calhoun Center, 3033 Excelsior Blvd., #225
- Minneapolis, MN 55416
- University Orthopaedic Therapy Center | Institute of Athletic Medicine
- 2512 S. 7th Street, First Floor, R102
- Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Minneapolis / University Village
- 2525 University Ave. SE
- Minneapolis, MN 55414
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - St. Anthony
- 2600 39th Ave NE #220
- Saint Anthony, MN 55421
- Institute for Athletic Medicine - Highland Park
- 2155 Ford Parkway, Suite #107
- Saint Paul, MN 55116